• BackupFan
    Hello,

We are considering using shadow copies for our Windows Server, but we know that MSP360 uses Volume Shadow Copies. Will MSP360's VSS get in the way of Windows Server shadow copies or vice versa?
  • Alexander Negrash
    MSP360 uses VSS which is native Windows service. Looks like you refer to the same mechanism
  • BackupFan
    If we are protecting a server using MSP360 using image and file backups, is there a need to modify shadow copies? Or is this managed by MSP360?

This may be a slight pivot, but does using System Protection count as using shadow copies? We want to be able to use System Protection to recover from an installation of bad software, should that be necessary. On Windows 10, when setting up System Protection using System Restore, a message appears saying "Using system protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted faster than normal." Can we and should we be using System Protection in addition to MSP360?
  • BackupFan
    If anyone is able to answer my above questions I would appreciate it.
    Thanks!
  • Alexander Negrash
    I apologize for my delayed response. MSP360 Backup generates its own VSS copy, which could potentially "accelerate the deletion of other shadow copies." However, this particular copy is automatically removed once the backup process is finished.

Furthermore, it's crucial to understand that MSP360 does not back up System Protection copies. Consequently, following a restore from an MSP360 backup, you won't have the option to utilize System Protection to access copies created prior to the restoration.
  • Jim Richardson
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks. This information is very helpful.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment