• Doowruc
    Hi,

I am running CloudBerry Backup (v4.8.2.41) on my old Windows Home Server 2011 (yes, I know WHS is very old and out of support!) to back up my photos to AWS Glacier.

I have recently received an email from AWS saying they are disabling TLS 1.0 & 1.1 as of next June and that CloudBerry is still using 1.0 for the GetBucketLocation call.

I know its a long shot but is anyone aware of any plans to update the WHS version?

I know I should move my server to a more modern OS (and therefore updated backup software) but I have a lot of things set up on the server, which will take a lot of work to migrate, and up until now it has continued to "just work".

TIA

doowruc
  • David Gugick
    That version is long out of support. I think you could simply upgrade or purchase a newer edition, but you would need to check with Support to make sure that the latest versions will work on WHS 2011. You could also try using that old version to backup up to Amazon S3 Standard and moving data via a lifecycle policy to Glacier of that's supported in that older version. Newer versions support S3 Glacier using the S3 APIs rather than the legacy Glacier APIs from Amazon. But reach out to support via the web site and see what they say.
  • Gustavo Moraes
    I have version 7.1 running on Windows Server 2019 and I also received the same email from AWS.
    Is this a Cloudberry setting or a Windows Server setting?
  • Doowruc
    oh, that is interesting, this may change my plan for upgrading my server to Win 10
  • Doowruc
    Thanks for the reply David, and apologies for the delayed response. I am considering updating my server to run win 10 but looking at Gustavo's response that might not be a solution.

I will reach out to support as you suggest
  • Doowruc
    Just logged in to raise a support ticket and getting a 500 server error :sad:
  • Doowruc
    I note that the latest version is 7.7.1 - are you able to confirm if updating to 7.7.1 solves the TLS issue?
  • Gustavo Moraes
    We don't have the lastest version.
    What we did was disable the TLS 1.0 and 1.1 from windows server and that seems to have fixed the issue. We did not receive the alert from AWS the following month.
    FYI, not sure if Home Server 2011 has TLS1.2 support so you may have to upgrade anyways.

Google disabling TLS 1.0 on windows server and it has some good documentation on how to do it.
  • Doowruc
    Fantastic, thanks Gustavo
  • Doowruc
    Home Server 2011 is 2008 R2 underneath so 1.2 is supported
  • Doowruc
    I have disabled 1.0 and 1.1 and enabled 1.2

I have added a new file that will get picked up when my backup plan runs over night

Fingers crossed that a) it will work and b) I don't see any more alerts from AWS!

Thanks again
  • Thomas Peluso
    Apologies to be bumping this old thread, but I'm having the same issue as the original poster. Unfortunately, after enabling TLS 1.2 and disabling TLS 1.0 and 1.1 in the registry of my WHS 2011 server, my real-time backup job to Amazon S3 (standard, not Glacier) continually fails, and there doesn't seem to be TLS-specific settings in either Cloudberry or on the Amazon side of things. I've been meaning to do a new server build, but I'ld love to stretch out the useful lifespan of my current one just a bit more - but I need Cloudberry working to do so. Can anyone help?
  • Steve Putnam
    We are supporting a Windows XP server that only works with MSP360 versiobn 7.6.1.69 and prior.
    Told it is a TLS related issue.
  • Doowruc
    Hi all,

Amazingly, I have great news!

Amazon stopped old TLS on my buckets on July 30th.

Ever since, my plan has been finishing after only a couple of seconds.

Oddly enough its been sending a Success email, but hasn't actually done anything at all (I know that I have files that need backing up in my plan) and includes a message from Amazon:

TnIESrV.png

I finally found some time to take another look at it this evening and have got it working again!

I found this article:

https://woshub.com/enable-tls-1-2-windows/

The key missing part that I hadn't tried before was the .NET registry keys - Cloudberry Backup is .NET 3.5

I just completed a successful backup of the ~200 files I added since 30 July

Hope this helps you all too

Cheers

doowruc
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal