• mark dagley
    Hi we are started getting an issue with a database backup to an S3 bucket a few weeks back where it seems to have gone from taking 4 or 5 hours to 18 to 20 hrs, the number of databases and the total size of the backup has not changed significantly.

the server and the bucket are both in the UK.

the error I can see in the logs is
    2022-06-06 09:03:08,494 [Base] [37] ERROR - Request failed, retrying in 400 msec, 3 attempts left
    2022-06-06 09:10:39,880 [Base] [12] ERROR - Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    System.IO.IOException
    Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartWriting(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.ProcessWrite(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at System.Net.ConnectStream.InternalWrite(Boolean async, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Net.ConnectStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at aoA.Write(Byte[] , Int32 , Int32 )
    at aoc.Write(Byte[] , Int32 , Int32 )
    at aon.A(Stream , Stream , Int32 , ICancelable , Boolean )
    at aLT.a(aLo )
    at aLT.b(aLo )
    at aLT.C(aLo )
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

this then repeats over and over.

I have checked with the host of the server and they claim there is no issue there side with network or bandwidth.
  • David Gugick
    Product version? Upstream bandwidth? S3 storage class (standard, other?). Retry errors usually involve latency and connection quality issues and they are best resolved through Support. Happy to try to help on the forums, but if problem identification and a speedy resolution is most important, I'd go through Support.
  • mark dagley
    Thanks, I found some sites that do latency tests to different S3 regions and it has shown an issue so have reported this to our hosting partner.
    for some reason the London DC seems to be 300 to 3000ms whereas Frankfurt is 100ms, servers are in a UK DC so not sure why that is happening.

however to answer your questions the
    version 7.5.2.5
    upstream is 200Mbit
    Region is London
    Storage class is standard
  • David Gugick
    Check with Support. They can review the logs (which you can also do if interested) to see what they show.
  • mark dagley
    My Hosting Partner is telling me that it's a hardware firewall that bottlenecking the speed and it needs a firmware update and reboot so we will see.
  • David Gugick
    I'm glad you're onto the possible cause. If you wouldn't mind, please report back when you've addressed the firmware and let us know if that corrects the issue. If not, we can take it from there. Thanks.
  • mark dagley
    Turns out a simple reboot of the firewall was enough.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment